Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Leading Innerwick Primary   by Abbie Duffy

After 4 weeks of working with a group of primary 4's from East Linton primary, we'd all had enough experience to pick it up a step and start leading a session ourselves. Before the group from Innerwick arrived, I made sure I was fully prepared since it was the first session with them and didn't want to make a bad impression.  They were primary 5's and definitely seemed a lot more enthusiastic than the primary 4's from East Linton. Before the session with Innerwick had started I was beginning to get really nervous. Thankfully the day before we met the children, Sally gave us 15 minutes to prepare a 2 minute talk and perform it to all the guys, it definitely helped to ease my nerves a bit. On the day I just tried to be myself and relax but obviously the first time I was going to be slightly nervous. It went more smoothly than I'd hoped. After the introduction I felt a lot more confident and didn't have any nerves whatsoever of the review. Two instructors were with about 2-3 children each, we played observation alley, sound maps, meet a tree and bat and moth as a big group game. For the review we had marshmallows around the fire with everybody and got plenty of interesting feedback from the primary 5's. I now feel a lot more relaxed and confident about working with the schools now, and looking forward to getting more experience which will improve my skills further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment