Foxlake session with East Linton Primary - by Gavin McManus
It was the 2nd of October and I was given the first day of leading the Foxlake sessions with East Linton primary school. I was incredibly nervous about having too do this especially having to go first. Throughout September we had run many practice sessions but a big part of me still thought i was going to mess up.
Once the bus had arrived i greeted the kids of the bus and Stevie took a slight introduction then it was my time to step up. I firstly spoke about all the safety precautions that had too be taken in the woods and then learnt everyone's names as well as we could. I also discussed with the kids how the session was based around there five senses. I split up the primary school kids into even groups and sent them to the games with there 2 leaders.
The three small games that were played were;
Observation alley- a game for using the element of sight and to try find all 20 objects in a roped of area
Meet a tree- All about using the touch sense, one participant would lead a blindfolded participant too a tree lead them back to the center and make the blindfolded person try and find there tree
Sound maps- all about using your hearing, all the members would find an area to sit by themselves and listen to the surrounding and draw what they could hear.
I rounded the session off with roasting marshmallows around a fire and then playing a game of bat and moth which is about using three senses (touch, hearing and sight). The rules of bat and moth is that there would be one blindfolded person and another without a blindfold, they would be in a circle of people. the blindfolded person would call out bat and the non blindfolded person would call out moth. The aim of the game is for the "bat" to capture the "moth".
No comments:
Post a Comment