Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Surfing; by Abbie Duffy

One of the sports that I show more of an interest in is surfing. Fortunately while working with mobex, we get the chance to improve our skills in it. On tuesday 25th June, Stevie and Bob drove the 6 of us down to Belhaven for a surfing session. After kitting up with wetsuits, gloves, shoes & boards, we arrived at the car park at 11ish. Luckilly, it turned out to be a really sunny day with 1-2ft waves and offshore winds. I have already had surfing experience of catching unbroken waves before but when Stevie asked us to set ourselves a goal to reach by the end of the session, mines was first to catch some clean waves. After stretching and jogging on the beach to warm-up we began surfing. A few hours after catching some nice waves I decided to set myself the challenge of progressing my bottom turns and going in the direction of the wave breaking. I knew it would be challenging because I usually surf a 7'6 fibre glass and that day I had been using a 9ft foam board which was a lot more heavey weight. Unfortunately, i didn't manage to do bottom turns but I wasn't bothered because I had still had a good surf. After a few hours the waves just weren't picking up and everyone was getting a bit bored, so we left our boards next to the bags on the beach and went in for a swim then headed back to the van at 1ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment